Benefits of Working at The Legal Aid Society
Health, Dental, & Vision
Staff Attorneys and Non-Union Staff; Health benefits are offered to all eligible employees and dependents including same-sex (and opposite-sex) domestic partners and spouses.
- Medical Benefits- The organization offers an array of medical benefits. Employees can select from a HMO or PPO plan that they feel is suitable for them and their dependents.
- Unless otherwise noted, benefits are effective on the first of the month following the employee’s date of hire/rehire, and full-time employees are required to contribute to the benefit premium.
- Dental- Dental benefits are offered to F/T employees, with no required monthly premium.
- Vision- Vision benefits are offered to F/T employees, with no required monthly premium.
- Part-time employees whose regular work hours fall within the eligibility requirements for the various lines of insurance (a minimum of 17.5 hours per week) continue to have access to coverage but are required to pay a percentage of the premium that is equal to their percentage of non-work time.
- Opting Out of Medical Coverage: If you elect to opt out of coverage, you will receive $2,500 less applicable taxes (benefit pro-rated for mid-year new hires/rehires).
Disability & Insurance
Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability; Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment
Employer contributions only, three year vesting.
- Commuter Fringe Benefit equivalent to the MTA monthly metro.
- All 1199 employees are reimbursed up to $150.00 for eyeglasses in the alternate year that eyeglasses are not available from the 1199 National Benefit Fund.
- Contributions for Retirement and Health Benefits
- Benefits are managed by 1199SEIU National Benefit Fund. Information on benefits can be found at https://www.1199seiubenefits.org/
Paid Time Off
- 12 Paid Holidays (3 predetermined holidays can be converted to Floating Holidays)
- Vacation Days
- Personal Days
- Sick Leave
- Paid Family Leave
- Bereavement and Discretionary Bereavement Leave
- NYC Safe and Sick Leave
- Flu Shots and TB Testing Annual Events
- CCA – Corporate Counseling Associates
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Supplemental Life Insurance (Non-Union and Staff Attorneys only)
- 403(b) Tax Deferred Annuity – Employee Contributions Only
- Commuter Benefits
- Foreign Language Reimbursements – $500 per year (Staff Attorney only)
- Wireless Discounts
- Gym Corporate Discounts
- AT&T Wireless Corporate Discount
- Buyer’s Edge Corporate Discount
- Plum Benefits & Working Advantage: Concert Tickets/Travel/Theatre & Event Discounts
- Crunch Gyms Corporate Discount