Job Applications & Procedures
Our objective is to recruit and retain the best law students, attorneys, paralegals, social workers, investigators and administrative staff who share one vision – that no New Yorker will be denied access to justice because of poverty.
Working at The Legal Aid Society
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion, client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
Current Job Openings
- Civil Practice Paralegal I (Queens)
- Civil Staff Attorney Immigration Law Unit – Detained Removal Defense
- Civil Staff Attorney Immigration- Immigrant Opportunities Initiative (IOI)
- Civil Practice Paralegal Casehandler Immigration IOI
- Civil Practice Staff Attorney (Benefits/DAP/Single Stop)-HCLO
- Civil Paralegal Casehandler, Immigration Detained Removal Defense – Immigration Law Unit
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney, Housing-related Government Benefits
- Civil Practice Paralegal Casehandler-Bronx Courthouse Office, ACP
- Civil Practice Paralegal Supervisor-Housing (Staten Island)
- Civil Practice Paralegal Casehandler-Bronx Courthouse Office
- Civil Practice Staff Attorney – DV Immigration
- Civil Practice Paralegal Supervisor – Housing (Citywide)
- Civil Practice Program Coordinator – Immigration – Detained Removal Defense
- Civil Practice Staff Attorney-Employment Law Unit
- Civil Practice Staff Attorney-Housing (Citywide)
- Civil Practice Paralegal I (Bronx)
- Civil Practice Staff Attorney Housing Group Advocacy (Citywide)
- Civil Practice Deputy Director of Grants and Contracts
- Civil Practice Director of Grants and Contracts Management
- Civil Law Graduate – Housing Unit (Fall 2020)
- Civil Practice Staff Attorney-Consumer (Queens)
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney-Immigration Law Unit
- Civil Practice Paralegal Casehandler-Housing
- Civil Practice Staff Attorney (Staten Island)
- Civil Paralegal I (Water)
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney-Housing Program (Staten Island)
- Civil Practice Staff Attorney DV/Consumer
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney-Housing Program (Bronx)
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney-Housing Program (HCLO)
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney-Immigration Detained Removal Defense
Criminal Defense Practice
- Criminal Defense Paralegal II
- Criminal Defense Practice Support Staff
- Criminal Defense Practice Paralegal II (Bronx)
- Criminal Defense Practice Mitigation Specialist-MICA
- Criminal Defense Practice Community Escort
- Criminal Defense Practice Paralegal II (Queens)
- Criminal Defense Practice Supervising Paralegal-CAB
- Criminal Defense Practice Complex Administrator (Bronx)
- Criminal Defense Practice Staff Attorney-PRDU
- Criminal Defense Practice Director of Data
- Criminal Defense Practice Research and Data Quality Analyst II-CAP
- Criminal Defense Practice Research and Data Quality Analyst I
- Criminal Defense Practice Paralegal I-Discovery Unit (Citywide)
- Criminal Defense Practice Staff Attorney-DNA Unit (Citywide)
- Criminal Defense Practice Staff Attorney-CAB DVSJA
- Criminal Defense Practice Mitigation Specialist, Pre-Arraignment Project (Manhattan)
- Criminal Defense Paralegal II (Brooklyn)
- Criminal Defense Supervising Attorney – ILU/ Defender Services Program
- Criminal Defense Practice Community Escort, Pre-Arraignment Project (Manhattan and the Bronx)
- Criminal Defense Practice Mitigation Specialist-MICA Unit (Bronx)
- Criminal Defense Practice Forensic Social Worker (Brooklyn)
- Criminal Defense Practice Attorney-in-Charge, Special Litigation Unit
- Criminal Defense Practice Forensic Social Worker (Bronx)
Juvenile Rights Practice
- Juvenile Rights Practice Assistant Social Work Supervisor
- Juvenile Rights Practice Assistant Attorney-in-Charge
- Juvenile Rights Staff Attorney-EAP (Bronx)
- Juvenile Rights Forensic Social Worker- Juvenile Service Unit (Citywide)
- Senior Financial Analyst
- Senior Financial Analyst-Budgets and Forecasts
- Director of Risk Management and Internal Audit
- Director of Employee Relations
- Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
You can view postings on our ADP Recruitment Portal, and apply to any position that suits your interest. Required documents must be uploaded as a single PDF. If documents are not in a single PDF your application will not be processed.
Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
You must submit your application through the ADP Recruitment Portal in order to be considered. Resumes and other documents submitted to our email@example.com email inbox will not be processed.
Once you have completed your application you will receive a confirmation email.
The status of your application can be viewed by logging into your account.
If your skills match the position for which you applied, a recruiter or a representative from the organization may contact you either by phone or email. You should keep an eye out for any communications sent to you regarding employment with our organization.
We welcome any questions that you may have. Inquiries can be sent to our email inbox at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We ask that during the application screening you remain patient.
If selected for an interview we may choose to speak with you in person, over the phone, or by video. Interviews in person may be held at the job location, and may be held by the hiring manager or committee members.
We will provide you with information on The Legal Aid Society, as well as provide you with some insight into the position that you will be interviewing for. As we take the time to get to know you, we are hoping that you have some questions for us as well so that we can be sure that our organization is a good fit for you.
After the interview process has been completed, the hiring manager and/or committee will assess all of the candidates, and will make a decision as to whom an offer should be made.
We ask that you remain patient during the decision-making process.
Offers & Onboarding
Once a hiring decision has been made, an offer will be extended to the selected candidate via email. The candidate must review and decide whether to accept the offer that is made. Once the offer has been accepted, the successful candidate will be required to complete onboarding paperwork.
We Encourage You To:
- Sign up to receive notifications for our latest job openings on our ADP Recruitment Portal, by clicking on the Notify Me button.
- Check out the “Resources for Jobseekers” search tool for questions that you may have prior to applying to postings.
- Stay on top of current events that relate to Public Interest Law, as well as keeping informed of events and initiatives that The Legal Aid Society is involved in by viewing “Latest News & Upcoming Events” on our Homepage.
The application process can be competitive; however, we hope that this does not discourage you from applying for other opportunities. We look to pair the right person to the right job, making the selected individual a part of this dynamic organization.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer — Women, People of Color, Members of LGBTQ+ Community, Veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Click here for more information about your rights under Equal Opportunity laws.
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at: JobPostQuestions@legal-aid.org, Monday through Friday 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
Resources for Job Seekers
Need guidance before you apply? Our recruitment team has selected popular resources that will help guide your application process.