Job Applications & Procedures
Our objective is to recruit and retain the best law students, attorneys, paralegals, social workers, investigators and administrative staff who share one vision – that no New Yorker will be denied access to justice because of poverty.
Working at The Legal Aid Society
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion, client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
The Legal Aid Society’s Civil Practice is seeking a Staff Attorney for the Housing Justice Unit-Group Advocacy in the Brooklyn, Bronx, and Queens offices. The Housing Justice Unit-Group Advocacy is an anti-displacement and tenant protection project focusing on supporting specific New York City communities facing rapid gentrification in the five boroughs of New York City. The Staff Attorney will work with tenant associations, community-based organizations and pro bono attorneys to help stabilize client communities by preventing harassment of tenants and tenant displacement as well as assisting tenants with obtaining repairs and essential services. The Staff Attorney will also work with tenant associations that want to form low-income housing cooperatives, and assist groups of shareholders and HDFC coop boards to establish proper governance practices in HDFC coops.
Learn More about the work of the Housing Justice Unit-Group Advocacy here.
See the full job description and apply here.
All Current Job Openings
- Civil Practice Paralegal Casehandler- Immigration (IOI)
- Civil Practice Paralegal Casehandler Housing/Rikers (Bronx)
- Civil Practice Staff Attorney, Government Benefits, DAP Single Stop (Benefits/DAP/Community Intake)
- Civil Practice Attorney-in-Charge of General Civil Legal Services (Citywide)
- Civil Practice Attorney-in-Charge, Housing (Citywide)
- Civil Practice Paralegal Casehandler- Law Reform (HRP)
- Civil Practice Paralegal Casehandler- ILU Federal
- Civil Practice Paralegal Casehandler- Housing Group Advocacy Project (Citywide)
- Civil Practice Paralegal Casehandler- Law Reform Unit (NYCHA)
- Civil Practice Paralegal I (Brooklyn)
- Civil Practice Paralegal I-HCLO
- Civil Practice Paralegal Supervisor, Housing Group Advocacy (Citywide)
- Civil Practice Paralegal I (Queens)
- Civil Staff Attorney Immigration Law Unit – Detained Removal Defense
- Civil Staff Attorney Immigration- Immigrant Opportunities Initiative (IOI)
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney, Housing-related Government Benefits
- Civil Practice Paralegal Casehandler-Bronx Courthouse Office, ACP
- Civil Practice Paralegal Casehandler-Bronx Courthouse Office
- Civil Practice Paralegal Supervisor – Housing (Citywide)
- Civil Practice Program Coordinator – Immigration – Detained Removal Defense
- Civil Practice Staff Attorney-Housing (Citywide)
- Civil Practice Staff Attorney Housing Group Advocacy (Citywide)
- Civil Practice Deputy Director of Grants and Contracts
- Civil Practice Director of Grants and Contracts Management
- Civil Law Graduate – Housing Unit (Fall 2020)
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney-Immigration Law Unit
- Civil Practice Staff Attorney (Staten Island)
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney-Housing Program (Bronx)
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney-Housing Program (HCLO)
- Civil Practice Supervising Attorney-Immigration Detained Removal Defense
Criminal Defense Practice
- Criminal Defense Practice Staff Attorney-PRP
- Criminal Defense Practice Supervising Attorney-CAB
- Criminal Defense Practice Mitigation Specialist-AID (Bronx)
- Criminal Defense Practice Paralegal I (Brooklyn)
- Criminal Defense Practice Mitigation Specialist-Arraignment/Decarceration (Manhattan)
- Criminal Defense Practice Paralegal II (Queens)
- Criminal Defense Practice Support Staff (Queens)
- Criminal Defense Practice Cluster Administrator (Brooklyn)
- Criminal Defense Practice Discovery Administrator
- Criminal Defense Practice Paralegal Casehandler- SLU
- Criminal Defense Practice Mitigation Specialist-AID (Brooklyn)
- Criminal Defense Practice Paralegal I – Queens
- Criminal Defense Practice Senior Supervising Attorney- Community Intake Unit
- Criminal Defense Practice Supervising Attorney
- Criminal Defense Practice Community Escort (Queens)
- Criminal Defense Practice Support Staff-PRDU (Rikers)
- Criminal Defense Staff Attorney – SLU/Decarceration
- Criminal Defense Practice Resource Mitigation Specialist-HDTF
- Criminal Defense Practice Staff Attorney-SLU
- Criminal Defense Practice Assistant Managing Attorney-CAB
- Criminal Defense Administrative Coordinator-Discovery Unit
- Criminal Defense Senior Supervising Attorney – Discovery Unit
- Criminal Defense Staff Attorney- Community Intake Unit
- Criminal Defense Staff Attorney-Discovery Unit
- Criminal Defense Director of Paralegal Services
- Criminal Defense Practice Investigator (Bronx)
- Criminal Defense Practice Support Staff (Brooklyn)
- Criminal Defense Practice Mitigation Specialist-MICA
- Criminal Defense Practice Staff Attorney-PRDU
- Criminal Defense Practice Research and Data Quality Analyst I
- Criminal Defense Practice Paralegal I-Discovery Unit (Citywide)
- Criminal Defense Practice Staff Attorney-DNA Unit (Citywide)
- Criminal Defense Practice Mitigation Specialist, Pre-Arraignment Project (Manhattan)
- Criminal Defense Supervising Attorney – ILU/ Defender Services Program
- Criminal Defense Practice Community Escort, Pre-Arraignment Project (Manhattan and the Bronx)
- Criminal Defense Practice Mitigation Specialist-MICA Unit (Bronx)
- Criminal Defense Practice Forensic Social Worker (Brooklyn)
- Criminal Defense Practice Forensic Social Worker (Bronx)
Juvenile Rights Practice
- Juvenile Rights Practice Assistant Social Work Supervisor
- Juvenile Rights Practice Assistant Attorney-in-Charge
- Juvenile Rights Staff Attorney-EAP (Bronx)
- Juvenile Rights Forensic Social Worker- Juvenile Service Unit (Citywide)
- Recruitment Administrator – Juvenile Rights Practice
- Senior Financial Analyst
- Senior Financial Analyst-Budgets and Forecasts
- Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
You can view postings on our ADP Recruitment Portal, and apply to any position that suits your interest. Required documents must be uploaded as a single PDF. If documents are not in a single PDF your application will not be processed.
Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
You must submit your application through the ADP Recruitment Portal in order to be considered. Resumes and other documents submitted to our firstname.lastname@example.org email inbox will not be processed.
Once you have completed your application you will receive a confirmation email.
The status of your application can be viewed by logging into your account.
If your skills match the position for which you applied, a recruiter or a representative from the organization may contact you either by phone or email. You should keep an eye out for any communications sent to you regarding employment with our organization.
We welcome any questions that you may have. Inquiries can be sent to our email inbox at email@example.com.
We ask that during the application screening you remain patient.
If selected for an interview we may choose to speak with you in person, over the phone, or by video. Interviews in person may be held at the job location, and may be held by the hiring manager or committee members.
We will provide you with information on The Legal Aid Society, as well as provide you with some insight into the position that you will be interviewing for. As we take the time to get to know you, we are hoping that you have some questions for us as well so that we can be sure that our organization is a good fit for you.
After the interview process has been completed, the hiring manager and/or committee will assess all of the candidates, and will make a decision as to whom an offer should be made.
We ask that you remain patient during the decision-making process.
Offers & Onboarding
Once a hiring decision has been made, an offer will be extended to the selected candidate via email. The candidate must review and decide whether to accept the offer that is made. Once the offer has been accepted, the successful candidate will be required to complete onboarding paperwork.
We Encourage You To:
- Sign up to receive notifications for our latest job openings on our ADP Recruitment Portal, by clicking on the Notify Me button.
- Check out the “Resources for Jobseekers” search tool for questions that you may have prior to applying to postings.
- Stay on top of current events that relate to Public Interest Law, as well as keeping informed of events and initiatives that The Legal Aid Society is involved in by viewing “Latest News & Upcoming Events” on our Homepage.
The application process can be competitive; however, we hope that this does not discourage you from applying for other opportunities. We look to pair the right person to the right job, making the selected individual a part of this dynamic organization.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer — Women, People of Color, Members of LGBTQ+ Community, Veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Click here for more information about your rights under Equal Opportunity laws.
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at: JobPostQuestions@legal-aid.org, Monday through Friday 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
Resources for Job Seekers
Need guidance before you apply? Our recruitment team has selected popular resources that will help guide your application process.