Projects, Units & Initiatives
Foreclosure Prevention Project
The Legal Aid Society’s Foreclosure Prevention and Home Equity Preservation Project assists homeowners in Bronx and Queens who are struggling to maintain homeownership or who are facing foreclosure. Our free legal services are available to homeowners residing in 1-4 family homes, cooperatives and condominiums in the Bronx and Queens.
Our services include, but are not limited to:
- Representation in Foreclosure Actions, including appearances at Settlement conferences
- Challenging abusive lending or real estate practices
- Assistance with Pro Se Representation
- Assistance with Loan Modification Applications
- Resolving Disputes with the Mortgage Lender or the Mortgage Servicer
- Dealing with Property Taxes and Water and Sewer charges
- Advocacy or litigation in tax lien foreclosures
- Filing Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy
**Although due to COVID-19 our offices and court walk-in clinics are closed, The Legal Aid Society continues to assist homeowners facing foreclosure and with issues such as keeping up with mortgage payments, common or maintenance charges, property taxes, water and sewer charges, and related issues.
Court appearances are being re-scheduled and foreclosures on most mortgages have been suspended, either by the court, the government or the lender. Depending on the type of your mortgage loan and the effect of Covid-19 on you and your family, you may be eligible for relief, including suspending or reducing your mortgage payments for a period of time. But make sure to call your lender to apply for relief. Because government, court, and lender relief policies for those affected by COVID-19 continue to develop and change, we urge you to call us. We can help monitor court dates and help advocate on your behalf with the lender to get relief.
Please also be aware of scammers who may exploit the COVID-19 crisis by targeting you and making false promises to help.
Read our FAQ and reach us at the following helplines:
Please leave a message with your name and phone number and we will return your call within 24 hours.
If you are a Bronx homeowner, you may also utilize our online intake form.