Pro Bono & Volunteer Opportunities
The Legal Aid Society integrates pro bono attorneys, law students, and other volunteers into our overall delivery of services. We screen matters, conduct Continuing Legal Education (CLE) programs, and mentor volunteers on each case.
Many firms act as co-counsel on affirmative litigation matters. Through internships, clinics, and helpline opportunities, we have increased the number, scope, and impact of volunteer engagements.
We Draw Strength from You
Last year, over 4,300 volunteers donated 285,000 hours of legal assistance to the clients of The Legal Aid Society.
But no metrics can adequately quantify what pro bono assistance means to a family facing homelessness, a client whose rights are violated by unlawful police conduct, or a child in foster care whose educational needs are not being met.
For over 140 years The Legal Aid Society has worked together with the private bar to provide life changing legal assistance and deliver “Justice In Every Borough”.
Impact of Our Pro Bono Work
Hours of Pro Bono work by 4,365 volunteers
Client matters handled by 67 Law Firms
Student Interns from 97 participating law schools and universities
2018 Pro Bono Honor Roll
- American International Group (AIG)
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- BNY Mellon
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- DLA Piper LLP (US)
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLc
- Friedman Kaplan Seiler & Adelman LLP
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Jones Day
- Kasowitz, Benson & Torres LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis and Frankel LLP
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Shearman & Sterling
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP
- Winston & Strawn LLP
Pro Bono Publico Award Winners
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP received the 2018 Honorable Jonathan Lippman New York Pro Bono Publico & Public Service Law Firm Award. Alongside the dedicated staff of The Legal Aid Society, volunteers from Davis Polk have been engaged in representing clients whose legal needs encompass every aspect of our work; championing the rights of children, defending the accused, and ensuring equal access to justice in every borough.
CLE Training and Credit for Pro Bono Volunteers
This training program runs from October to January, so please check back for how to participate.
The Legal Aid Society is an accredited CLE provider and we award CLE credit to attorneys who perform eligible pro bono legal services for clients unable to afford counsel.